Skip to main content

Brioche Bread


Unlike cakes, breads have never disappointed me. So, this year, as a part of my NY Resolution, I have decided to concentrate more on baking with yeast. So to start off, I baked this brioche bread and it turned out quite well. Now, you can find different variations of brioche if you google for it. I choose to bake the one which had come in the latest issue of Vanitha Pachakam.

 

Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Vanitha Pachakam (Issue:Dec 2012-Mar 2013)

1. All purpose flour - 500 gm
    Sugar - 90 gm
    Salt - 10 gm
    Dry Yeast - 10 gm
    Butter - 125 gm
    Eggs - 2
    Milk - 100 ml
2. Cardamom/Nutmeg powder - 4 gm
3. Golden raisins - 5 gms
 
Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients listed under #1 in a large bowl and knead the dough.
  • Add the 2nd and 3rd ingredients to the above mixture and knead well to form a smooth dough.
  • Place the dough in a loaf tin and cover it with a clean wet cloth.
  • Allow the dough to proof for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs or until it has risen well above the top of the loaf tin. It should spring back when gently tapped on the top with a finger.
  • Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 C.
  • Bake the briohe until it is well browned on top for about 25-30 mins. It should sound hollow when tapped on the top.
  • Remove from the oven and turn the brioche onto a cooling rack and allow it to cool.



 
Notes:
  • I halved the recipe that was mentioned in the magazine.
  • The original recipe uses cardamom. Since, I don't like the taste of cardamom, I substituted it with nutmeg.
  • The time taken for blooming depends on the quality of the yeast used. So, make sure that the yeast used is new.
  • Soak the raisins in water for sometime before adding it to the dough.
  • The original recipe says to bake the brioche for 15 mins. However, if you need to get the brown color,you need to bake for atleast 25-30mins (my experience). Anyways keeping checking after 25 mins.



 

Comments

  1. lovely clicks... and very soft bread.. would love to have a bite... came across your blor through DMBLGiT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from you.....

Popular posts from this blog

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti...

Coffee Liqueur Muffins

It was only recently, when decluttering my pantry, I realised I had a bottle of unopened coffee liqueur which my friend got it for me from Goa last year..... Then, as usual searched for a recipe and found out one from my collections....So, here it is Coffee Liqueur Muffins! According to the book, its an after-dinner muffins, but we loved it with our cup of evening-tea....... Ingredients: Recipe Source:Coffee by Parragon Books Instant coffee granules - 2 tbsp Boiling water - 2 tbsp Plain flour - 280 gm Baking powder - 1 tbsp Pinch of salt Light brown sugar - 115 gm Eggs - 2 Milk - 100ml Butter - 85 gm, melted and cooled Coffee liqueur - 6 tbsp Oil or melted butter, for greasing Method: Preheat oven to 200 C. Line a muffin tin with muffin case. Put coffee granules and boiling water in a cup and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Lightly beat the eggs in anoth...

Carrot Cake

Hi folks....Long time!! Blogging has taken a setback for the past few months due to various reasons.... Though I have been baking, nothing remarkable enough to post on the blog, it was either a repeated bake or a new one but of course, the flopped versions!! But, then on Valentine's Day, I managed to bake a Carrot Cake. This cake has been on my to-do list for quite sometime. You could frost the cake with a cream cheese frosting, but I preferred mine to be plain.... Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Baking by Parragon Books Eggs - 2 Brown sugar - 3/4 cup Unsalted butter - 1 cup Grated carrots - 1 1/3 cups All purpose flour - 2 cups Baking soda - 1 tsp Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp Ground cardamom - 1 tsp Nutmeg, grated - 1 tsp Almonds, roughly chopped - 1 cup Method: In a bowl, beat the eggs until well combined and add the sugar and butter. Mix well. Add the grated carrots, sift in the flour, baking soda and the spices. Then add the chopped almonds. Mix eve...