Skip to main content

Happy B'day to JJ....

Yes! It's that month when I have two most important people celebrating their birthdays on two consecutive days...I have my better-half celebrating his birthday today..... And this is the first time I am actually doing something on his birthday since I usually concentrated more on the next one..... So, I wanted to make him something special this year, (not the usual cake) and I landed upon one of the most creamylicious, yummylicious dessert-The Tiramisu-one of his favorite too!!! 


Now, I have made a Tiramisu and a Tiramisu Cake some time back with sponge cakes but this is the first with Savoiardi...... Moreover, I needed a twist in the dessert, something different from the usual!! And so, I decided to make the Irish Cream Tiramisu by Nigella (one of my favorite baker)..... Nigella has never failed me when it comes to baking...... I tried her Devil's Food Cake last year (same day) and it was simply superb!



Irish Cream Tiramisu

Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Nigella 

Instant espresso powder - 9 tsps (dissolved in 350 ml of cool water)
Baileys - 250 ml
Savoiardi Biscuits - 400g
Eggs, large - 2
Caster Sugar - 75 g
Mascarpone Cheese - 500g
Cocoa powder - 2 1/2 tsp

Method:
  • Mix coffee with 175 ml of Baileys in a bowl. Dip the savoiardi into this liquid. Let them soak on each side enough to become damp but not soggy.
  • Line the bottom of a glass dish with a layer of the dipped biscuits.
  • Separate the eggs and keep only one of the whites.
  • Whisk the two yolks and sugar together until thick and a paler yellow. Fold in the remaining 75 ml of Baileys.
  • Add mascarpone cheese to make a moussy mixture.
  • Whisk the single egg white until thick and frothy. Fold the egg white into the mascarpone cheese mixture.
  • Spread half of this mixture on top of the layer of biscuits.
  • Repeat with another layer of soaked Savoiardi and then top with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
  • Cover the dish with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
  • When ready to serve, dust cocoa powder on the top of the tiramisu with the help of a tea strainer.


We don't get Bailey's Irish Cream here, haven't seen anywhere...... But I didn't want that factor to hold me back from making the tiramisu...So, I googled and found out from the Brown Eyed Baker as to how to make a homemade Irish Cream!! Again, the recipe uses Irish Whisky which is not found in my place.... So, I substituted with another brand!!! 

Homemade Irish Cream

Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Brown Eyed Baker

Irish whisky - 2 cups
Light/Heavy cream - 1 cup
Condensed Milk - 1 can
Chocolate Syrup - 2 tbsps
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
Instant coffee - 1 tsp

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients in a blender and puree on high speed for 30 seconds.
  • Transfer mixture to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
  • Shake well before using.
Sadly, I forgot to click a picture of the Irish cream. Maybe, next time!




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pansache Dhonas/ Jackfruit Cake

It's the season of jackfruit and you get to see lots of them in Kerala now. Last week, when I went home for a day, I brought back some jackfruits as my son loves them...... After everybody had their share, I had little left in the fridge and so decided to bake this Goan cake - Pansache Dhonas, which I had penned down from Raksha's Kitchen some months back. I would say this cake is definitely a healthy one as it uses no maida, sugar or butter.... The cake tasted quite different from the normal ones and it was indeed yummy! Ingredients: Recipe Source: Raksha's Kitchen Jackfruit pulp - 2 cups Grated coconut - 1 cup Salt - 1/2 tsp Rava - 1 cup Jaggery - 1 cup Cardamom powder - 2 tsps Cashewnuts, chopped - 10 Almonds, chopped - 5-10 Raisins - 10 Method: Roast rava till it is light brown or till the aroma wafts into the air. Keep aside. Let it cool for at least 20 mins. Remove the jackfruit seeds and put them into a mixer and make a pulp out of it.

Rose Meringue Cookies for Pink October

Rose Meringue Cookies....my way to support Pink October or Pinktober. Every year, October is the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month . Each year campaigns are conducted internationally to increase awareness and raise funds for the research. The campaigns offers information and support to all those affected by breast cancer..... Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Priya's Versatile Recipes Egg large whites  - 3  Caster/ superfine sugar - 3/4 cup Salt - 1/8 tsp Rose essence - 1/4 tsp Vanilla essence - 1/4 tsp Pink food color - 1/4 tsp Method: Pre-heat oven to 160 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Clean a glass bowl with vinegar. In the bowl, beat the egg whites on low-medium speed with a hand-held beater until foamy.  Add salt and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks.  Then add sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat, on medium-high speed, until the meringue holds very stiff peaks. Beat in the vanil

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti