Skip to main content

A Birthday Cake!!!

Yellow Cake with Buttercream and Praline Topping


Never have I thought of baking a cake for my birthday, not even in my dreams!!! Usually, for all the birthdays in our home, I leave the choice to JJ and mostly it ends up in a Black Forrest cake or some chocolate cake (all of us are chocoholic)…This time, for my birthday I decided to bake my birthday cake (my very first)…. When I told JJ about it, he said it was a wonderful idea but he had just one demand- no whipping cream frosting!!! I didn't ask for any further opinions, since I knew they (JJ & RJ) would unanimously cry out for a chocolate cake.
I had a tough time in deciding a cake recipe….though I found many delicious and interesting recipes, but none to my liking!!! A few days back I was browsing through my favorite blog of Kitchen Mishmash and found the recipe of a cake with buttercream and praline….the moment I saw the photos of the cake on that blog, I knew that this would be my birthday cake….it had everything I wanted – a buttercream frosting; a plain, yet tasty cake and praline topping, something which I haven’t tried out!!


This cake had many specialties- my first birthday cake and my first attempt with buttercream, praline topping and of course, cake decoration. Though I messed up with the praline topping and decoration, I loved the soft yellow cake, the rich taste of the buttercream, and the crunchy caramel….The cake was truly yummy!!!!

Below ingredients and methods are what I followed for making this cake.

Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Kitchen Mishmash

For The Cake
Cake flour – 2 ¼ cups
Baking powder – 1 tbsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Unsalted butter – ¾ cup (at room temp)
Sugar – ¾ cup
Vanilla extract – ¾ tsp
Eggs – 3 large (at room temp)
Whole milk – ¾ cup (at room temp)

For the Praline
Granulated Sugar – ½ cup
Dry toasted cashew nuts – ½ cup
Water – 1 tbsp

For Moistening Syrup
Sugar – ¼ cup
Water – ¼ cup
Vanilla essence – ¼ tsp

For Buttercream
Recipe Source: Baking- From my home to yours
I have halved the original recipe mentioned in the book and that yielded the right quantity for my cake.



Method:

For Baking the Cake
  • Preheat the oven to 180 C. Prepare the cake pan by greasing and flouring it lightly.
  • Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  • Beat the butter until creamy for about 2 minutes. Add sugar and beat until very light and fluffy for about 3 minutes.
  • Beat in the eggs one at a time, allowing each eggs to absorb fully with the mixture.
  • Add the flour mixture- alternatively with the milk and flour, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beat until smooth on low–medium speed after each addition.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared pan and level the tops with a spatula. Bake for about 23 minutes or until a skewer inserted shows a few moist crumbs.{In a MWO, bake at 600W for 10 minutes}
  • Cool in the pan for 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely. 
To Make the Praline
  • Prepare caramel by heating and melting sugar along with water, until they turn medium brown. Keep swirling the pan but do not stir.
  • When sugar is completely melted and bubbles start coming up and if it has reached a medium brown color, remove and add the dry toasted nuts to it.
  • Pour them onto to a non-stick aluminum foil or a lightly oil coated aluminum foil sheet, placed on a cookie sheet and let it set. {While pouring the caramel coated nuts, make sure that a thick layer is not created}.
  • When completely dry, crush the caramel coated nut sheet using a rolling pin and then powder them in the smallest jar of a mixer/blender. 
To Make the Moistening Syrup
  • Boil water in a pan and add sugar and let it boil until sugar melts. Turn off.
  • Just before assembling the cake, add vanilla essence and mix well to the syrup. 
Assembling the Cake
  • When the cake is completely cool and ready to assemble, get ready with the baked cake, buttercream, praline and moistening syrup.
  • Place the cake on a cake board or a plate and apply the moistening syrup.
  • Apply some buttercream on top of that and make a thick layer of frosting and smoothen the top and sides of the cake quite well with a spatula.
  • Sprinkle praline generously on top of the frosting and cover the whole cake with powdered praline. Use your hands to apply the praline.




 

Comments

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from you.....

Popular posts from this blog

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti...

Coffee Liqueur Muffins

It was only recently, when decluttering my pantry, I realised I had a bottle of unopened coffee liqueur which my friend got it for me from Goa last year..... Then, as usual searched for a recipe and found out one from my collections....So, here it is Coffee Liqueur Muffins! According to the book, its an after-dinner muffins, but we loved it with our cup of evening-tea....... Ingredients: Recipe Source:Coffee by Parragon Books Instant coffee granules - 2 tbsp Boiling water - 2 tbsp Plain flour - 280 gm Baking powder - 1 tbsp Pinch of salt Light brown sugar - 115 gm Eggs - 2 Milk - 100ml Butter - 85 gm, melted and cooled Coffee liqueur - 6 tbsp Oil or melted butter, for greasing Method: Preheat oven to 200 C. Line a muffin tin with muffin case. Put coffee granules and boiling water in a cup and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Lightly beat the eggs in anoth...

Carrot Cake

Hi folks....Long time!! Blogging has taken a setback for the past few months due to various reasons.... Though I have been baking, nothing remarkable enough to post on the blog, it was either a repeated bake or a new one but of course, the flopped versions!! But, then on Valentine's Day, I managed to bake a Carrot Cake. This cake has been on my to-do list for quite sometime. You could frost the cake with a cream cheese frosting, but I preferred mine to be plain.... Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Baking by Parragon Books Eggs - 2 Brown sugar - 3/4 cup Unsalted butter - 1 cup Grated carrots - 1 1/3 cups All purpose flour - 2 cups Baking soda - 1 tsp Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp Ground cardamom - 1 tsp Nutmeg, grated - 1 tsp Almonds, roughly chopped - 1 cup Method: In a bowl, beat the eggs until well combined and add the sugar and butter. Mix well. Add the grated carrots, sift in the flour, baking soda and the spices. Then add the chopped almonds. Mix eve...