Skip to main content

A Birthday Cake!!!

Yellow Cake with Buttercream and Praline Topping


Never have I thought of baking a cake for my birthday, not even in my dreams!!! Usually, for all the birthdays in our home, I leave the choice to JJ and mostly it ends up in a Black Forrest cake or some chocolate cake (all of us are chocoholic)…This time, for my birthday I decided to bake my birthday cake (my very first)…. When I told JJ about it, he said it was a wonderful idea but he had just one demand- no whipping cream frosting!!! I didn't ask for any further opinions, since I knew they (JJ & RJ) would unanimously cry out for a chocolate cake.
I had a tough time in deciding a cake recipe….though I found many delicious and interesting recipes, but none to my liking!!! A few days back I was browsing through my favorite blog of Kitchen Mishmash and found the recipe of a cake with buttercream and praline….the moment I saw the photos of the cake on that blog, I knew that this would be my birthday cake….it had everything I wanted – a buttercream frosting; a plain, yet tasty cake and praline topping, something which I haven’t tried out!!


This cake had many specialties- my first birthday cake and my first attempt with buttercream, praline topping and of course, cake decoration. Though I messed up with the praline topping and decoration, I loved the soft yellow cake, the rich taste of the buttercream, and the crunchy caramel….The cake was truly yummy!!!!

Below ingredients and methods are what I followed for making this cake.

Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Kitchen Mishmash

For The Cake
Cake flour – 2 ¼ cups
Baking powder – 1 tbsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Unsalted butter – ¾ cup (at room temp)
Sugar – ¾ cup
Vanilla extract – ¾ tsp
Eggs – 3 large (at room temp)
Whole milk – ¾ cup (at room temp)

For the Praline
Granulated Sugar – ½ cup
Dry toasted cashew nuts – ½ cup
Water – 1 tbsp

For Moistening Syrup
Sugar – ¼ cup
Water – ¼ cup
Vanilla essence – ¼ tsp

For Buttercream
Recipe Source: Baking- From my home to yours
I have halved the original recipe mentioned in the book and that yielded the right quantity for my cake.



Method:

For Baking the Cake
  • Preheat the oven to 180 C. Prepare the cake pan by greasing and flouring it lightly.
  • Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  • Beat the butter until creamy for about 2 minutes. Add sugar and beat until very light and fluffy for about 3 minutes.
  • Beat in the eggs one at a time, allowing each eggs to absorb fully with the mixture.
  • Add the flour mixture- alternatively with the milk and flour, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beat until smooth on low–medium speed after each addition.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared pan and level the tops with a spatula. Bake for about 23 minutes or until a skewer inserted shows a few moist crumbs.{In a MWO, bake at 600W for 10 minutes}
  • Cool in the pan for 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely. 
To Make the Praline
  • Prepare caramel by heating and melting sugar along with water, until they turn medium brown. Keep swirling the pan but do not stir.
  • When sugar is completely melted and bubbles start coming up and if it has reached a medium brown color, remove and add the dry toasted nuts to it.
  • Pour them onto to a non-stick aluminum foil or a lightly oil coated aluminum foil sheet, placed on a cookie sheet and let it set. {While pouring the caramel coated nuts, make sure that a thick layer is not created}.
  • When completely dry, crush the caramel coated nut sheet using a rolling pin and then powder them in the smallest jar of a mixer/blender. 
To Make the Moistening Syrup
  • Boil water in a pan and add sugar and let it boil until sugar melts. Turn off.
  • Just before assembling the cake, add vanilla essence and mix well to the syrup. 
Assembling the Cake
  • When the cake is completely cool and ready to assemble, get ready with the baked cake, buttercream, praline and moistening syrup.
  • Place the cake on a cake board or a plate and apply the moistening syrup.
  • Apply some buttercream on top of that and make a thick layer of frosting and smoothen the top and sides of the cake quite well with a spatula.
  • Sprinkle praline generously on top of the frosting and cover the whole cake with powdered praline. Use your hands to apply the praline.




 

Comments

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from you.....

Popular posts from this blog

Pansache Dhonas/ Jackfruit Cake

It's the season of jackfruit and you get to see lots of them in Kerala now. Last week, when I went home for a day, I brought back some jackfruits as my son loves them...... After everybody had their share, I had little left in the fridge and so decided to bake this Goan cake - Pansache Dhonas, which I had penned down from Raksha's Kitchen some months back. I would say this cake is definitely a healthy one as it uses no maida, sugar or butter.... The cake tasted quite different from the normal ones and it was indeed yummy! Ingredients: Recipe Source: Raksha's Kitchen Jackfruit pulp - 2 cups Grated coconut - 1 cup Salt - 1/2 tsp Rava - 1 cup Jaggery - 1 cup Cardamom powder - 2 tsps Cashewnuts, chopped - 10 Almonds, chopped - 5-10 Raisins - 10 Method: Roast rava till it is light brown or till the aroma wafts into the air. Keep aside. Let it cool for at least 20 mins. Remove the jackfruit seeds and put them into a mixer and make a pulp out of it.

Rose Meringue Cookies for Pink October

Rose Meringue Cookies....my way to support Pink October or Pinktober. Every year, October is the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month . Each year campaigns are conducted internationally to increase awareness and raise funds for the research. The campaigns offers information and support to all those affected by breast cancer..... Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Priya's Versatile Recipes Egg large whites  - 3  Caster/ superfine sugar - 3/4 cup Salt - 1/8 tsp Rose essence - 1/4 tsp Vanilla essence - 1/4 tsp Pink food color - 1/4 tsp Method: Pre-heat oven to 160 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Clean a glass bowl with vinegar. In the bowl, beat the egg whites on low-medium speed with a hand-held beater until foamy.  Add salt and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks.  Then add sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat, on medium-high speed, until the meringue holds very stiff peaks. Beat in the vanil

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti