Skip to main content

A B'day Cake



Yes! My little girl turns 2 today....*smiles*...Can't forget the day, when the doc told me "It's a girl"...To be frank, I was actually shocked!!!I expected a boy again....But now, I am happy having my little princess since her love and affection towards me is totally different from my boy's....*smiles*.....Oh Oh!! time surely flies, especially with kids...they grow up so fast that you don't even seem to notice it, until their next b'day.....*winks*

Now, for her birthday, I wanted to bake a cake...I had planned it months before and was searching for a cake recipe...I zeroed in the Red Velvet Cake with Mascarpone Cheese Cream Frosting...I stocked up with all the necessary ingredients for the Red Velvet Cake except for one small and the most important item - the red color!! I searched every department stores and bakeries in my place for a red color, but in vain!! So, I had to think about something else and that's when I happened to see Nigella's Kitchen on TLC (re-telecast) and she had prepared this cake and it was quite tempting (Nigella surely know how to play with words and sometimes you fall for it too, like me for this cake)....I got the recipe for the cake from her website and was all prepared for baking it....

So here it is


Devil's Food Cake 
for 
My Little Angel


Though the name sounds strange, the cake was truly "Heavenly"......The cake was so soft and delicious; the frosting was just luscious (as Nigella says)...The cake with the frosting was truly 'chocolatey' and it was the best chocolate cake I ever had......I would call this cake "A Rich Chocolate Cake".....A perfect cake to bake for any celebrations except for its name *winks*....




I have made few alterations here and there, so the below ingredients and method are what I used and followed for baking the cake. For the original version, you could visit the link mentioned below.


Ingredients:
Recipe Adapted from: www.nigella.com

For Cake:
Cocoa powder, sifted - 50 gm
Brown sugar - 100 gm
Boiling water - 250 ml
Unsalted butter, soft - 125 gm
Caster sugar - 150 gm
Plain flour - 225 gm
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence - 2 tsp
Eggs - 2

For Frosting:
Water - 125 ml
Brown sugar - 30 gm
Unsalted butter - 175 gm
Dark chocolate, finely grated - 500 gm


Method:

For the Cake:
  • Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  • Line the bottom of a baking tin with parchment paper and butter the sides.
  • Put cocoa and brown sugar into a bowl and pour in the boiling water. Whisk to mix and keep aside.
  • Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together and set aside.
  • Cream butter and caster sugar together in a big bowl, beating well until pale and fluffy.
  • Add vanilla essence into the creamed butter and sugar, mixing all the while. Add in 1 egg, quickly followed by a scoopful of flour mixture, then the second egg.
  • Keep mixing and incorporate the rest of the dried ingredients for the cake.
  • Finally mix and fold in the cocoa mixture, scraping its bowl well with a spatula.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared tin and put in the oven for about 55-60 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
  • Take the tin out and leave it on a wire rack for 5–10 minutes, before turning the cake out to cool.
For the Frosting:
  • Put water, brown sugar and butter in a pan over a low heat to melt.
  • When this mixture begins to bubble, take the pan off the heat and add the chopped chocolate, swirling the pan so that all the chocolate melts with heat. Leave for a minute before whisking. It will take time for the frosting to become smooth and glossy.
  • Put the frosting in the fridge for a while before frosting the cake.
  • Once the cake is cooled completely, place the cake on a cake stand or plate and spread the frosting over the top and sides, swirling with a spatula. 





 
Linking to:








Bake Fest hosted by FOODOMANIA


Comments

  1. This looks truly delectable! Can't wait to try it myself. Infact my daughter loves baking with me, so it'll be fun for her, too.
    Thank you for linking up at Made with Love. Heart felt love and hugs to your little angel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your little girl… You are simply awesome!! The cake looks yumm… and gorgeous.. wow!! She must be very proud of mommy!! *smiiles*… Thanks for joining Made with Love last week…

    Hope to see you join the giveaway on colours dekor this week too … http://coloursdekor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/giveaway-weekly-story-wk-93.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from you.....

Popular posts from this blog

Pansache Dhonas/ Jackfruit Cake

It's the season of jackfruit and you get to see lots of them in Kerala now. Last week, when I went home for a day, I brought back some jackfruits as my son loves them...... After everybody had their share, I had little left in the fridge and so decided to bake this Goan cake - Pansache Dhonas, which I had penned down from Raksha's Kitchen some months back. I would say this cake is definitely a healthy one as it uses no maida, sugar or butter.... The cake tasted quite different from the normal ones and it was indeed yummy! Ingredients: Recipe Source: Raksha's Kitchen Jackfruit pulp - 2 cups Grated coconut - 1 cup Salt - 1/2 tsp Rava - 1 cup Jaggery - 1 cup Cardamom powder - 2 tsps Cashewnuts, chopped - 10 Almonds, chopped - 5-10 Raisins - 10 Method: Roast rava till it is light brown or till the aroma wafts into the air. Keep aside. Let it cool for at least 20 mins. Remove the jackfruit seeds and put them into a mixer and make a pulp out of it.

Rose Meringue Cookies for Pink October

Rose Meringue Cookies....my way to support Pink October or Pinktober. Every year, October is the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month . Each year campaigns are conducted internationally to increase awareness and raise funds for the research. The campaigns offers information and support to all those affected by breast cancer..... Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Priya's Versatile Recipes Egg large whites  - 3  Caster/ superfine sugar - 3/4 cup Salt - 1/8 tsp Rose essence - 1/4 tsp Vanilla essence - 1/4 tsp Pink food color - 1/4 tsp Method: Pre-heat oven to 160 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Clean a glass bowl with vinegar. In the bowl, beat the egg whites on low-medium speed with a hand-held beater until foamy.  Add salt and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks.  Then add sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat, on medium-high speed, until the meringue holds very stiff peaks. Beat in the vanil

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti