Skip to main content

Banana Cake with Chocolate Glaze

I wanted to bake a banana cake badly the other day, and so searched for one and found out this recipe from Nigella’s site.....What I liked about the recipe was it used rum instead of milk and essence....And I love cakes made of liquor; be it brandy or rum or even wine.....Well, stories apart.....On to the recipe....I have made few alterations to the original recipe......
 
 
Ingredients:
Recipe Adapted from: Nigella Lawson
 
Butter - 100gm
Castor sugar - 175 gm
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Eggs - 2 (at room temp)
Lemon zest -1 (grated)
Rum - 3-4 tbsp
Ripe bananas - 3 (mashed)
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Flour - 250 gm
Baking powder - 2 tsp
 
Method:
  • Sift flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
  • Butter a baking tin and it line with a parchment paper.
  • Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
  • Add the eggs and beat until the mixture become light and fluffy.
  • Add the grated lemon zest and rum.
  • Next, add the mashed bananas and lemon juice. Once the bananas are mixed in, the mixture looks curdled. {Don't worry! Nigella's assurance}.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the above mixture and combine.
  • Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 75 mins in a preheated oven at 180 C.
  • Once baked, remove and cool completely before frosting with the chocolate glaze.
 
 
Chocolate Glaze
 
Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Pastry Affair
 
Semi-sweet chocolate - 2 cups
Butter - 100gm
 
Method:
  • In a double boiler, melt the semi-sweet chocolate and butter together, stirring until smooth. The glaze will thicken slightly.
  • Remove from heat, allow it cool slightly and frost the cake before the glaze hardens. {If the glaze hardens, melt it again via a double boiler}
 
 
 

 
 

Comments

  1. Looks so good. Tempting and delicious.
    Let me know what do you know about my blog...
    http://indianfoodnest.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from you.....

Popular posts from this blog

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti...

Coffee Liqueur Muffins

It was only recently, when decluttering my pantry, I realised I had a bottle of unopened coffee liqueur which my friend got it for me from Goa last year..... Then, as usual searched for a recipe and found out one from my collections....So, here it is Coffee Liqueur Muffins! According to the book, its an after-dinner muffins, but we loved it with our cup of evening-tea....... Ingredients: Recipe Source:Coffee by Parragon Books Instant coffee granules - 2 tbsp Boiling water - 2 tbsp Plain flour - 280 gm Baking powder - 1 tbsp Pinch of salt Light brown sugar - 115 gm Eggs - 2 Milk - 100ml Butter - 85 gm, melted and cooled Coffee liqueur - 6 tbsp Oil or melted butter, for greasing Method: Preheat oven to 200 C. Line a muffin tin with muffin case. Put coffee granules and boiling water in a cup and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Lightly beat the eggs in anoth...

Carrot Cake

Hi folks....Long time!! Blogging has taken a setback for the past few months due to various reasons.... Though I have been baking, nothing remarkable enough to post on the blog, it was either a repeated bake or a new one but of course, the flopped versions!! But, then on Valentine's Day, I managed to bake a Carrot Cake. This cake has been on my to-do list for quite sometime. You could frost the cake with a cream cheese frosting, but I preferred mine to be plain.... Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Baking by Parragon Books Eggs - 2 Brown sugar - 3/4 cup Unsalted butter - 1 cup Grated carrots - 1 1/3 cups All purpose flour - 2 cups Baking soda - 1 tsp Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp Ground cardamom - 1 tsp Nutmeg, grated - 1 tsp Almonds, roughly chopped - 1 cup Method: In a bowl, beat the eggs until well combined and add the sugar and butter. Mix well. Add the grated carrots, sift in the flour, baking soda and the spices. Then add the chopped almonds. Mix eve...