Skip to main content

Red Wine Chocolate Cake

Finally, the Red Wine Chocolate Cake.....This cake recipe was in my mind for sooo long and I wanted to bake it the very next minute I got the recipe, but somehow it got delayed due to some or other reasons....."Better late than never" and I am glad I baked it....I would say this was the best cake that I had ever baked and taste-wise--it was the best!! *smiles*...


I had a bottle of homemade wine which my Papa had given me for last Christmas (to soak the fruits for the Christmas cake)….The wine was a bit sweeter and so I used it for this cake…..The wine gave a rich flavour to the chocolate cake…In short, the cake was too delicious and it got even more better the next day, when all the flavors of the cake matured….


Ingredients:
Recipe Source: The Pastry Affair

Butter - 1/2 cup (softened)
Light brown sugar - 3/4 cup
Granulated sugar - 1/3 cup
Egg, large - 1
Red wine - 1 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
All-purpose flour - 1 1/4 cups
Cornstarch - 3 tbsp
Cocoa powder - 3/4 cup
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp


Method:
  • Pre-heat oven to 165 C. Grease a bundt form pan or a loaf pan.
  • Sieve together flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Reserve.
  • In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla essence and beat until smooth. Beat in the red wine.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wine mixture slowly, mixing until just incorporated.
  • Pour batter into the baking pan and bake for 50-60 mins.
  • Allow to cool for 10 mins in the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
  • Transfer to a cake plate and dust some icing sugar and serve.
Notes:
  • The original recipe uses 1/4 cup plain yoghurt also. Since I didn't have yoghurt, I used 1 cup of red wine instead.
  • The red wine I used is homemade and it was quite sweet. So, I skipped the granulated sugar. Taste your wine before adding the sugars.
  • For those who don't prefer wine, you could use buttermilk instead.
  • Lastly, though the cake uses wine, it can be equally consumed by kids too. (No probs with my kids...*winks*)



 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti...

Coffee Liqueur Muffins

It was only recently, when decluttering my pantry, I realised I had a bottle of unopened coffee liqueur which my friend got it for me from Goa last year..... Then, as usual searched for a recipe and found out one from my collections....So, here it is Coffee Liqueur Muffins! According to the book, its an after-dinner muffins, but we loved it with our cup of evening-tea....... Ingredients: Recipe Source:Coffee by Parragon Books Instant coffee granules - 2 tbsp Boiling water - 2 tbsp Plain flour - 280 gm Baking powder - 1 tbsp Pinch of salt Light brown sugar - 115 gm Eggs - 2 Milk - 100ml Butter - 85 gm, melted and cooled Coffee liqueur - 6 tbsp Oil or melted butter, for greasing Method: Preheat oven to 200 C. Line a muffin tin with muffin case. Put coffee granules and boiling water in a cup and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Lightly beat the eggs in anoth...

Carrot Cake

Hi folks....Long time!! Blogging has taken a setback for the past few months due to various reasons.... Though I have been baking, nothing remarkable enough to post on the blog, it was either a repeated bake or a new one but of course, the flopped versions!! But, then on Valentine's Day, I managed to bake a Carrot Cake. This cake has been on my to-do list for quite sometime. You could frost the cake with a cream cheese frosting, but I preferred mine to be plain.... Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Baking by Parragon Books Eggs - 2 Brown sugar - 3/4 cup Unsalted butter - 1 cup Grated carrots - 1 1/3 cups All purpose flour - 2 cups Baking soda - 1 tsp Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp Ground cardamom - 1 tsp Nutmeg, grated - 1 tsp Almonds, roughly chopped - 1 cup Method: In a bowl, beat the eggs until well combined and add the sugar and butter. Mix well. Add the grated carrots, sift in the flour, baking soda and the spices. Then add the chopped almonds. Mix eve...