Skip to main content

Happy to you!!!


My first born, my little prince turned 5 today......Like I said before.....kids grow up soooo fast that you don't realise it until their next birthday...*smiles*.......
 
Few weeks back I asked my son as to what cake he wants for his fifth birthday.....and there he goes with a list of cakes-----car cake, teddy bear cake, mickey mouse cake, giraffe cake, butterfly cake, flower cake, deer cake, blah blah blah (thanks to TLC's cake shows, as he gets all these cake ideas from those)......Finally, he said he needed a cake with the number 5 and he specifically wanted a chocolate cake with blue icing (blue being his favorite color)!! Now starts my search for a blue color.....But this time I was lucky enough to find it in a departmental store and so grabbed all the bottles of different colors that was there (as these are very rare commodities and you get them once in a blue moon at my place).......
 
Now with the color ready, I was in search for a chocolate cake...Though I have many recipes for a chocolate cake, I needed one with exact quantities to make a big rectangular cake....Otherwise, I would have to make two cakes (a round and a square) and cut them into the shape of 5, which I felt was quite tedious....My search ended when I received the book "Cake" by Rachel Allen (thanks to Flipkart)......I love Rachel Allen's show on TLC and I wouldn't miss any of her telecast.......I zeored in her Chocolate number Cake with Coloured Buttercream Icing from the book.....
 
With everything ready and fingers crossed, I baked the cake just a day before the big day......I was totally tensed when I started trimming the cake to form the number 5......But then I took a deep breathe and just did it.....*phew*......Though I had messed up a bit while trimming, the frostings came to my rescue....*smiles*.....Anyways after a half day's work, here it is my first number cake for my little client...*winks*......

 
 
Chocolate Cake with Blue Buttercream Icing
Recipe Source: Rachel Allen's Cake
 
For the Cake
 
Ingredients:
Butter, softened - 400gms
Caster Sugar - 400 gms
Eggs - 7
Plain flour - 400 gms
Baking powder - 4 tsp
Cocoa powder - 2-4 tbsp
 
Method:
  •  Preheat oven to 180 C. Butter a cake tin and line the base and sides with parchment paper.
  • Creeam butter until soft in a large bowl using a hand-mixer.
  • Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
  • Whisk the eggs together in a bowl for few seconds and then gradually add them to the creamed butter mixture, beating all the time.
  • Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and fold in gently until mixed.
  • Tip the batter into the preared pan and bake in the oven for 35-45mins (depending on the size of the tin) or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then loosen the edges with a small sharp knife. Place a large wire rack upside down on the top of the cake and carefully turn over.
  • Remove the tin and the parchment paper and leave to cool completely on the wire rack.
  • When the cake has cooled, transfer to a chopping board. Draw a template of the number or letter on a piece of paper and cut this out. Place on top of the cake and using a sharp knife cut around the templates.

 
 
For the Buttercream Icing

Ingredients:
Butter, softened - 200 gms
Icing sugar, sifted - 450gms
Milk or heavy cream - 50 ml
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Blue colour - Few drops

Method:
  • Cream the butter an sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy and light.
  • Continuing to beat, gradually add the cream or milk witht the vanilla extract and food colouring, adding just enough to achieve the desired shade.



For the Chocolate Swirls

Ingredients:
Milk chocolate or Dark chocolate broken into pieces - 100 gms

Method:
  • Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water. Leave just until melted, stirring from time to time.
  • Remove from the heat and place next to the cake.
  • Dip a teaspoon or dessert spoon into the chocolate and drizzle on swirls on the top of the cake.


Moral of the tale: Never ask kids for ideas on their birthday cake!! *phew*......But all the effort taken is worth once you see the glee on their face.......*smiles*



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pansache Dhonas/ Jackfruit Cake

It's the season of jackfruit and you get to see lots of them in Kerala now. Last week, when I went home for a day, I brought back some jackfruits as my son loves them...... After everybody had their share, I had little left in the fridge and so decided to bake this Goan cake - Pansache Dhonas, which I had penned down from Raksha's Kitchen some months back. I would say this cake is definitely a healthy one as it uses no maida, sugar or butter.... The cake tasted quite different from the normal ones and it was indeed yummy! Ingredients: Recipe Source: Raksha's Kitchen Jackfruit pulp - 2 cups Grated coconut - 1 cup Salt - 1/2 tsp Rava - 1 cup Jaggery - 1 cup Cardamom powder - 2 tsps Cashewnuts, chopped - 10 Almonds, chopped - 5-10 Raisins - 10 Method: Roast rava till it is light brown or till the aroma wafts into the air. Keep aside. Let it cool for at least 20 mins. Remove the jackfruit seeds and put them into a mixer and make a pulp out of it.

Rose Meringue Cookies for Pink October

Rose Meringue Cookies....my way to support Pink October or Pinktober. Every year, October is the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month . Each year campaigns are conducted internationally to increase awareness and raise funds for the research. The campaigns offers information and support to all those affected by breast cancer..... Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Priya's Versatile Recipes Egg large whites  - 3  Caster/ superfine sugar - 3/4 cup Salt - 1/8 tsp Rose essence - 1/4 tsp Vanilla essence - 1/4 tsp Pink food color - 1/4 tsp Method: Pre-heat oven to 160 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Clean a glass bowl with vinegar. In the bowl, beat the egg whites on low-medium speed with a hand-held beater until foamy.  Add salt and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks.  Then add sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat, on medium-high speed, until the meringue holds very stiff peaks. Beat in the vanil

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti