Skip to main content

Moong Dal Kheer/Cheru Payar Parippu Payasam


It's been quite sometime since I have made payasams or kheer at home. The last I made was an Ada Pradhaman for last year's Onam. Suddenly I had an urge to make a payasam yesterday. I looked for the available ingredients and found a packet of cheru payar parippu/split moong dal in my pantry. I googled for moong dal payasam/kheer and found many. Finally, I zeroed in the recipe from Spicy Treats, since it was quite easy to make.



Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Spicy Treats

Moong dal - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1-2 cups, grated
Milk - 2 cups
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Cashew nuts - 8-10
Raisins - 8-10
Ghee - 2tsp + 1 tbsp

Method:
  • Cook moong dal with 3 cups of water in a wide vesssel.
  • When the moong dal is 90 % cooked, add the grated jaggery.
  • Stir well till the jaggery gets completely dissolved and the raw smell leaves.
  • Add cardamom powder and stir well.
  • Add 1 -2 tsp ghee and stir well.
  • Then add warm milk to the dal syrup and stir gently.
  • Leave for 2 mins and switch off the stove.
  • In another pan, heat ghee and fry the cashews and raisins until they turn golden brown.
  • Pour the browned cashews and raisins into the payasam and serve.



Submitting the recipe to the event "My Legume Love Affair" (MLLA) hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen, which was started by Susan of Well-Seasoned Cook and carried forward by Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen.







 

Comments

  1. My favourite payasam. Thanks for participating in this month's MLLA.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from you.....

Popular posts from this blog

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti...

Coffee Liqueur Muffins

It was only recently, when decluttering my pantry, I realised I had a bottle of unopened coffee liqueur which my friend got it for me from Goa last year..... Then, as usual searched for a recipe and found out one from my collections....So, here it is Coffee Liqueur Muffins! According to the book, its an after-dinner muffins, but we loved it with our cup of evening-tea....... Ingredients: Recipe Source:Coffee by Parragon Books Instant coffee granules - 2 tbsp Boiling water - 2 tbsp Plain flour - 280 gm Baking powder - 1 tbsp Pinch of salt Light brown sugar - 115 gm Eggs - 2 Milk - 100ml Butter - 85 gm, melted and cooled Coffee liqueur - 6 tbsp Oil or melted butter, for greasing Method: Preheat oven to 200 C. Line a muffin tin with muffin case. Put coffee granules and boiling water in a cup and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Lightly beat the eggs in anoth...

Carrot Cake

Hi folks....Long time!! Blogging has taken a setback for the past few months due to various reasons.... Though I have been baking, nothing remarkable enough to post on the blog, it was either a repeated bake or a new one but of course, the flopped versions!! But, then on Valentine's Day, I managed to bake a Carrot Cake. This cake has been on my to-do list for quite sometime. You could frost the cake with a cream cheese frosting, but I preferred mine to be plain.... Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Baking by Parragon Books Eggs - 2 Brown sugar - 3/4 cup Unsalted butter - 1 cup Grated carrots - 1 1/3 cups All purpose flour - 2 cups Baking soda - 1 tsp Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp Ground cardamom - 1 tsp Nutmeg, grated - 1 tsp Almonds, roughly chopped - 1 cup Method: In a bowl, beat the eggs until well combined and add the sugar and butter. Mix well. Add the grated carrots, sift in the flour, baking soda and the spices. Then add the chopped almonds. Mix eve...