Skip to main content

Depression Cake

 Depression Cake!!! Sounds weird right???


Well, according to Wikipedia "A Depression cake is a type of cake that was commonly made during the Great Depression. The ingredients include little or no milk, sugar, butter or eggs, because they were then either expensive or hard to get. Similar cakes are known as "War Cake," as they avoided ingredients that were scarce or were being conserved for the use of soldiers. A common Depression Cake is also known as "Boiled Raisin Cake," or "Milkless, Eggless, Butterless Cake."


Found the recipe for this milkless, eggless, butterless and even bowless cake from Sweet Little Bluebird while searching for a butterless cake recipe...Worth baking!!! I coated the cake with chocolate ganache.


Chocolate Crazy Cake

Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Sweet Little Bluebird

All-purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
Unsweetened cocoa powder - 3 tbsp
Castor Sugar - 1 cup
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
White vinegar - 1 tsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Vegetable oil - 5 tbsp
Water - 1 cup

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 180C.
  • Mix the first 5 ingredients in a greased 8" square baking pan.
  • Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredient - 2 small and one large.
  • Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in another and vegetable oil in the larger depression.
  • Pour water. Mix well until smooth.
  • Bake on middle rack of the oven for 35-40 mins. Insert a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. Cool.


Chocolate Ganache

Ingredients:
Recipe Source: Easycooking

Chocolate -200gms
Fresh cream - 200ml

Method:
  • Chop the chocolate and keep aside in a metal bowl.
  • Heat the cream until it starts to bubble over the edges.
  • Pour the cream over the chocolate and let it sit for a minute or two.
  • Stir well with a spoon. Refrigerate.
  • Ganache thickens as it cools. So if it is too thick, microwave it using 10 second spurts until it becomes the required consistency.

So, if you're in a depressed mood, why wait? Just put on your apron and start baking this cake and all your depressions would be gone once you taste the cake. *smiles*

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti...

Coffee Liqueur Muffins

It was only recently, when decluttering my pantry, I realised I had a bottle of unopened coffee liqueur which my friend got it for me from Goa last year..... Then, as usual searched for a recipe and found out one from my collections....So, here it is Coffee Liqueur Muffins! According to the book, its an after-dinner muffins, but we loved it with our cup of evening-tea....... Ingredients: Recipe Source:Coffee by Parragon Books Instant coffee granules - 2 tbsp Boiling water - 2 tbsp Plain flour - 280 gm Baking powder - 1 tbsp Pinch of salt Light brown sugar - 115 gm Eggs - 2 Milk - 100ml Butter - 85 gm, melted and cooled Coffee liqueur - 6 tbsp Oil or melted butter, for greasing Method: Preheat oven to 200 C. Line a muffin tin with muffin case. Put coffee granules and boiling water in a cup and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Lightly beat the eggs in anoth...

The 'Marble Cake' Revisited....

Remember my marble cake which I had baked looong back and which had almost turned into a chocolate cake, except for a few patches of white batter here and there.....I decided to re-try it once again on my mom's b'day which was on July 2.... Luckily, this time I managed to create a marble effect on my cake.... But, the chocolate was still dominant!!! I think I need to reduce the amount of cocoa powder used in the recipe (from 4 tbsps to 2)..... Wanna bite??? Happy Birthday Mummy So, this was my gift for my mommy on her b'day...I know she wouldn't like it...u know why???coz....coz....coz...she simply hates marble cake...hehheeehhhheee....