Skip to main content

My Last Post of 2013


Ok my lovely readers...... This is my last post of 2013..... Before this year ends, I am posting the cake I had baked for Christmas..... For a change, I have baked Omana Paul's Kerala Plum Cake this year. And I got the recipe from Nagalakshmi's Edible Garden... However, I made a few changes here and there. For instance, the original recipe doesn't require soaking fruits in alcohol, but I used soaked fruits (from last year's)...... Also, the cake is alcohol free. However, I like my Christmas cake to be alcohol-rich, so drenched my cake in brandy after it was baked.


Ingredients:
Recipe Adapted from: Edible Garden

Plain flour - 1 cup
Soaked fruits and nuts - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 cup and 1/2 cup
Butter - 2/3 cup
Eggs -3
Nutmeg, powdered - 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon, powdered - 1/4 tsp
Cloves, powdered - 1/4 tsp
Cardamom, powdered - 1/4 tsp
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Salt - a pinch

Method:
  • First and foremost, caramelize the sugar. In a pan on medium heat, melt 1/2 cup sugar slowly. Keep swirling the pan but do not stir. When sugar is completely melted and bubbles start coming up and if it has reached the color  you want, turn off the stove and place the pan in the sink and pour 1/2 cup cold water to the caramel and let it come to the room temperature.
  • Preheat oven to 180 C.
  • Add 3 tbsp flour to the soaked fruits and dredge completely to coat it, so that they don't sink to the bottom of the batter while baking. Keep aside.
  • Mix the remaining flour and baking powder, spices and salt until well combined. Keep aside.
  • Beat butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy using an electric beater. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Next, add 1 egg and beat. Then add a bit of the flour mixture and fold. Repeat, the process by alternating between the eggs and flour mixture until they are used up.
  • Now add the cooled caramel and dredged fruits and gently fold in. Pour batter into a greased cake pan and smooth the top.
  • Bake for an hour or so until the top turns dark brown and when a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. 
  • Let the cake cool completely. Prick holes here and there on the cake top and sprinkle 2-3 tsps of brandy or rum. Let it sink in for a few minutes.
  • Then, wrap well with parchment paper and then with aluminium foil and leave the cake to mature.

Well, I don't have many photos to share, as my kids finished off the cake even before Christmas!!! Luckily, I got a piece to taste!! The brandy worked magic!!! The above picture was taken before I drenched the cake with brandy...


Lastly, wishing all my readers

A Happy, Wonderful and Prosperous Happy New Year- 2014

So, see you guys next year with more interesting, yummy and tasty recipes.....Meanwhile, keep commenting and liking my posts......Adieu to 2013....






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mochaccino Brownies

I love anything that has coffee. Be it cakes, brownies, desserts anything under the sun that has coffee, I simply devour it! And, it's been quite some time since I've made anything with coffee... Found this brownie recipe in one of the books I have and sounded quite interesting!!!  A Mochaccino Brownie, heard about it?? Me, no way!!Haven't come across any mochaccino brownies in my place!! A mochaccino is simply a cappuccino added with chocolate syrup... And the mochaccino brownies are rich, dense and moist chocolate brownies infused with rich espresso coffee flavour. Ingredients: Recipe Adapted from: Coffee by Parragon Books Unsalted butter- 115g Plain chocolate - 115g Espresso strong black coffee - 2 tbsp Caster sugar - 250g Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp Plain flour - 85g Method: Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a square baking pan. Place the butter, chocolate and coffee in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat and sti...

Coffee Liqueur Muffins

It was only recently, when decluttering my pantry, I realised I had a bottle of unopened coffee liqueur which my friend got it for me from Goa last year..... Then, as usual searched for a recipe and found out one from my collections....So, here it is Coffee Liqueur Muffins! According to the book, its an after-dinner muffins, but we loved it with our cup of evening-tea....... Ingredients: Recipe Source:Coffee by Parragon Books Instant coffee granules - 2 tbsp Boiling water - 2 tbsp Plain flour - 280 gm Baking powder - 1 tbsp Pinch of salt Light brown sugar - 115 gm Eggs - 2 Milk - 100ml Butter - 85 gm, melted and cooled Coffee liqueur - 6 tbsp Oil or melted butter, for greasing Method: Preheat oven to 200 C. Line a muffin tin with muffin case. Put coffee granules and boiling water in a cup and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Lightly beat the eggs in anoth...

The 'Marble Cake' Revisited....

Remember my marble cake which I had baked looong back and which had almost turned into a chocolate cake, except for a few patches of white batter here and there.....I decided to re-try it once again on my mom's b'day which was on July 2.... Luckily, this time I managed to create a marble effect on my cake.... But, the chocolate was still dominant!!! I think I need to reduce the amount of cocoa powder used in the recipe (from 4 tbsps to 2)..... Wanna bite??? Happy Birthday Mummy So, this was my gift for my mommy on her b'day...I know she wouldn't like it...u know why???coz....coz....coz...she simply hates marble cake...hehheeehhhheee....